BRIEF PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
The Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and Unintentional Persistent Organic Pollutants (UPOPs) Capacity Building in The Gambia. The project intends to support the Gambia with the necessary technical and financial assistance to reduce the risks posed by PCBs and uPOPs to the environment and human health. The project will include the identification and disposal of 75 t of PCB-contaminated equipment and waste, and the reduction of 35 g I-TEQ/year of uPOPs through improved waste management practices and reduction of open burning of waste.
The project will ensure that an adequate level of sustained capacity for the sound management of PCBs and waste management/uPOPs reduction will be built for the management of any further hazardous waste identified (such as PCBs) after the project’s closure and for scaling-up improved waste management practices.
GEF GRANT APPROX: 2Million USD
TOTAL CO-FINANCING: 8 Million USD
PROJECT DURATION: 2019-2023
2. KMC (Kanifing Municipal Council)
3. NAWEC (National Water and Electricity Company Limited)
4. NEA ( National Environment Agency)
PROJECT GOAL AND OBJECTIVE:
The Project aims at strengthening the capacities of national stakeholders to manage PCBs and achieve PCB elimination, address contaminated sites in an environmentally sound manner and reduce UPOPs from open burning , as identified as national priority in The Gambia’s National Implementation Plan for the Stockholm Convention
1. Component 1 :Strengthening of legal frameworks, administrative processes, and technical preparedness for the sound management of PCBs and reduction of uPOPs emissions
2. Component 2: Environmentally sound management of PCBs and PCB-contaminated sites
3. Component 3: Minimizing releases of uPOPs from open burning of waste
4. Component 4: Monitoring, learning, adaptive feedback, outreach and awareness raising, and evaluation