PROJECT TITLE: Large- Scale Ecosystem-base Adaptation in The Gambia: Developing a Climate Resilient, Natural Resource-Base Economy.
BRIEF OVERVIEW OF EbA PROJECT:
The Large-scale Eco-System Based Adaptation (EbA) is a six-year project funded by Green Climate Fund (GCF) secured from United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) and implemented by the Ministry of Environment. The project target is to develop a climate resilient natural resource-based economy and build the climate resilience for Gambian communities and facilitate the development of a sustainable green economy.
The EbA is a six-year project that is conceived to revitalize the ecosystems that are mainly degraded in The Gambia and to improve their conditions so that those people whose livelihoods depend on cutting down trees can also improve by growing crops and doing other activities that will not destroy the environment.
EbA is flagship project, the first of its kind in terms of allocation in the sub region, is to come up with strategies and identify gaps during the implementation of the project which is in line with our policies of restoring degraded lands and ensuring adaptation measures are taken when it comes to climate change.
NATIONAL EXECUTING AGENCY: Ministry of Environment Climate Change & Natural Resources
DoA (Department of Agriculture)
DcD (Department of Community Development)
DoF (Department of Forestry)
DPWM (Department of Parks & WildLife Management)
ICRAF/World Agroforestry Center in Kenya
US$ 25,521,367 : ( 20 546 756 Grant; 4, 974,611 GTOG Contribution)
8,400 households' direct beneficries (50% women) and 46, 000 indirect beneficiaries (50% women)
AREA TO BE RESTORED:
12,800 hectares of degraded forest, woodland, savanna and mangrove; 3,000 hectares of transformed land (including cultivated areas, fallow land and road side verges)
PROJECTS COMPONENTS AND OUTPUTS:
- COMPONENT 1: Large-scale Ecosystem -based Adaptation (EbA) to build a climate -resilient natural resources base across The Gambia.
- OUTPUT 1: EbA interventions implemented in agricultural landscapes and degraded ecosystems to provide adaptation and commercial benefits for local communities, government and the private sector in The Gambia.
- COMPONENT 2: Establishment and Strengthening of natural resources-based businesses in The Gambia.
- OUTPUT 2: Technical support provided and infrastructural investments made to strengthen local and international markets using goods produced from climate-resilient natural resources base.
- COMPONENT 3: Policy support, institutional strengthening and knowledge generation to support large-scale implementation of EbA in The Gambia.
- OUTPUT 3: Institutional capacity of the Government of The Gambia strengthened to support large-scale implementation of EbA in The Gambia.